January 8, 2009

Music [08]

Most of the new music I've been listening to this year has been discovered with the help of my boyfriend David. Also known as DJ Orion, he spins vinyl records at bars in Brooklyn and Manhattan including monthly gigs at Bar4 (Park Slope) and Arrow Bar (East Village). I think he has pretty great taste in music and I owe a lot of my recent music interests to him! Check out his blog [ The Get Go ] for all the music and parties! I really enjoy live music but I never actually make it out to as many shows as I would like. But thanks to David, we went to a bunch of great shows this past year! There will also be a concert blog with some photos from the shows. 2008 was definitely a very enjoyable year of music!

*

CUT COPY [ IN GHOST COLOURS ]

Cut Copy is one of David's favorite groups and has become one of mine as well! In Ghost Colours is the Australian group's second album. I went to two shows this past year, the first in March at Studio B in Greenpoint and the second in September at Webster Hall. Both shows were lots of fun but the Webster Hall show was extra super fun! David and I were with a few friends and we all danced the entire time. We unknowingly hung out with Shandi from America's Next Top Model and I was especially excited when they played my favorite song, "Strangers in the Wind." It was really fun and definitely my favorite concert of the year! I can't wait until they come back to NY!
Favorite songs: Strangers in the Wind, Far Away, So Haunted


HOT CHIP [ MADE IN THE DARK ]

Made in the Dark is the British group's third album. I had only started listening to Hot Chip's music the year before but I've definitely become a fan. Their single, Ready for the Floor, quickly became popular and still gets people out on the dance floor at DJ Orion parties. David and I went to their October show at Terminal 5. It was cool to see them perform live because they really made sure it didn't sound exactly like the album. At some points though it seemed like they were trying too hard to make it different and for some of my favorites I sort of wish they kept it closer to the original version. It was a great show though and I enjoyed it very much!
Favorite Songs: Ready for the Floor, Hold On, One Pure Thought


SANTOGOLD [ SELF-TITLED ]

Santi White of Philly, a.k.a. Santogold's first album seems to be well-received in the music world. She's been compared to M.I.A., particularly on the track "Creator" because a lot of their production is done by the same people including Diplo. "Creator" is one of my favorite Santogold songs but David prefers "L.E.S. Artistes." I like a lot of the remixes too, especially the Switch Remix of "Shove It." I just got "Top Ranking" (A Diplo Dub) from David for Christmas. It's mostly Santogold remixes with some other artists mixed in. I like it overall but there are a few tracks that seem sort of random. I'm definitely curious about what we'll be seeing next from Santogold in the future! I think a collaboration with M.I.A. would be pretty sweet!
Favorite Songs: Creator, Lights Out, L.E.S. Artistes


HERCULES AND LOVE AFFAIR [ SELF-TITLED ]

This "musical project" is the creation of New York based DJ Andrew Butler and includes Antony Hegarty of Antony & The Johnsons. With a mix of disco/house/dance-punk, Hercules and Love Affair's self-titled album has also been well-received and has made it onto several Top 40 lists and has even been on the Chanel website and featured in two of their fashion shows. Antony Hegarty's vocals on their first single, "Blind" has a strange and unfamiliar yet interesting tone which I love, making it one of my favorites. "Raise Me Up" has a funky beat and is great for the dance floors, as is the "Hercules Theme" with its catchy melody of horns. "Hercules Theme" was also on my Urban Outfitters Essential Summer Mix which is where I first heard it. They seem like a fun group to see live and I would like to go to a show one day!
Favorite Songs: Blind, Raise Me Up, Hercules Theme


MGMT [ ORACULAR SPECTACULAR ]

Oracular Spectacular was actually released in 2007 but its popularity didn't become widespread until 2008 when I first heard their music as well. MGMT, previously known as 'The Management,' was created by the Brooklyn-based duo while the two attended Wesleyan University. It would be pretty cool if Allie knew them back then! They toured and opened for groups such as Of Montreal before becoming household names and making it onto many Best of 2008 lists. "Time to Pretend" was on the finale of 'Gossip Girl' and there have been many remixes of their songs, including a Jim Jones mix of "Electric Feel."
Favorite Songs: Kids, Electric Feel, Time to Pretend



KANYE WEST [ 808'S & HEARTBREAK ]

Kanye West's third album, 808's & Heartbreak, has received a mix of praise and critique. I'm in the former group and personally enjoy the majority of his new songs. I've heard people say this album is too 'emo,' while others claim it's one of the most progressive hip-hop albums since Outkast's "Speakerboxxx/The Love Below." I don't think I would go that far, but I really love the strong bass and beats in "Amazing" and Ry and I agree that Lil Wayne is pretty great on "See You in my Nightmare." The first single was "Love Lockdown" and "Heartless" is currently on radio playlists.  David has a really good "Love Lockdown" remix on vinyl that I personally like better than the original version!
Favorite Songs: Amazing, See You In My Nightmare, Heartless, Love Lockdown





More Songs on iPod rotation this year:

"Gronlandic Edit" Of Montreal, Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer?
"Breaking It Up" Lykee Li, Youth Novels
"Live Your Life" T.I. ft. Rihanna, Paper Trail
"Dangerous" Kardinal Offishall ft. Akon, Not 4 Sale
"In the Morning" Junior Boys, So This Is Goodbye
"Move" (Cut Copy Remix) CSS, Donkey
"Cheap and Cheerful" The Kills, Midnight Bloom
"Baggy Bottom Boys" Jokers of the Scene, Fool's Gold
"Cross the Dancefloor" Treasure Fingers, Fool's Gold
"Day 'n' Nite" Kid Cudi, Fool's Gold


No comments:

Post a Comment