January 23, 2009

LomoWalls & LOVE

During a walk around downtown Manhattan with my aunt, we went to the MoMA Design Store on Spring Street.  They have a lomography display with four large 'walls' made up of a mosaic of lomographic shots.  These are the 'LomoWalls.'  There is also a variety of cameras, lenses, accessories, and books for sale.  I had my Fisheye No.2 and managed to take two or three photos before the guard looked at me and I put the camera back in my bag.  After we were done looking around the store and were about to leave, I decided I wanted another few shots of the LomoWalls.  I took the Fisheye out as I walked to the display but there were no other people around like before, and the guard saw the camera and said I wasn't allowed to take photos.  I really wish I had it prepared to shoot in my hands so I could snap a quick one of him walking towards me, that would have been perfect!  I should have been following the lomography 'golden rules.'


LomoWalls are on display at three different MoMA locations around New York until February 4th.  I'd like to check out the LomoWalls in Midtown if I get a chance.  A LomoWall is created from a flood of authentic, colorful, crazy, dazzling analog snapshots.  Lomography enthusiasts from around the world - Lomographers, as they are known - shoot the photos using analog Lomographic cameras.  The LomoWalls on display around New York were built from approximately 16,300 individual Lomographs.  These photos were chosen from many submissions around the world.  Once I improve my lomography skills, I'd like to submit my photos and possibly have one on exhibit!

There's a new Lomography Gallery Store opening on January 26 on W. 8th Street.  This is New York City's first Lomography store and features a 35,000- image LomoWall, 7 special edition Diana F+ cameras, over 50 types of film and lots of other fun stuff.  I'm sure I'll love it!  The LomoWall runs throughout the store, including the staircase where the viewer is surrounded by 360-degrees of lomographs!  I definitely need to check it out soon.  I've decided I want to have a collection of cameras and the next cameras on my list are the Oktomat and the SuperSampler.  The Oktomat splits the photo into 8 (2x4) parts and the SuperSampler divides it into 4 long rectangles and has a ripcord pull for a trigger!  They both seem so cool and so much fun, I can't wait to use them!



Down the block is LOVE, a club on Macdougal Street that I went to with David and Rich last Saturday to see Hugmode, Pink Skull, and Romanthony.  Hugmode is our friend Mike, Pink Skull is a electronic duo with the Savant Guard, and Romanthony is the voice on Daft Punk's "One More Time."  There was music, dancing, and all that good stuff.

LOVE has a cavernous feel with stone walls and red lights in the main bar area.  There's a big waterfall and you can see through it into a small side room with weird curvy couches and more red lights.  As you walk to the back, there's an all- black room with a few couches, and then the dance area!  There was another very small bar but with two bartenders and it never got as crowded as the front bar.  The DJ booth was long and open onto the dance floor, and they had green lasers, two disco ball halves, black lights and other colorful and crazy lights.

I had my Fisheye No.2 then too and I took photos of myself, David, and Rich as well as the all the lights.  I tried a few long exposure shots with the lights and I hope it comes out well.  I haven't finished that roll yet but I'm excited to see it.  I'm going to put all my negatives onto CDs so I'll finally have my lomography on the computer and include it in blogs!

*

MoMA Design Store, SoHo  [ 81 Spring Street ]
MoMA Design Store  [ 44 W. 53rd Street ]
MoMA Design and Book Store  [ 11 W. 53rd Street ]
Lomography Gallery Store  [ 41 W. 8th Street ]
LOVE  [ 179 Macdougal Street ]

No comments:

Post a Comment