January 7, 2009

Movies [08]

My Movies of 2008:

In the theatre:
Iron Man
Sex and the City
The Hulk
Wall-E
Hancock
Pineapple Express
The Dark Knight
Role Models

On DVD:
Forgetting Sarah Marshall
Baby Mama
Harold and Kumar 2
You Don't Mess with the Zohan


And my favorite movie of 2008 goes to..




THE DARK KNIGHT

Didn't you see that one coming?...  But seriously, despite all the initial hype, it IS a pretty awesome movie!  I saw this one in the IMAX and it was completely insane.  With its star-studded cast and non-stop action, it blew my mind.  The screen being practically three stories high didn't hurt either.  There's no doubt that Heath Ledger will get the Oscar nomination and hopefully win for his role as The Joker.  The bad pod was pretty vicious, especially the wall-flip maneuver.  The choice of Maggie Gyllenhaal over Katie Holmes was definitely a change for the better.  I can't wait to see this again on DVD or preferably blu-ray on a big screen with surround sound!









WALL-E

The lovable Disney-Pixar movie follows in second place.  I thought this story was adorable and could be enjoyed at any age.  I have an obsession with Rubik's cubes so I have a soft spot for the Rubik's cube scene.  I think it's just so cute and I love it!








SEX AND THE CITY THE MOVIE

The Sex and the City movie comes in a close third place.  When one of your favorite TV series of all time makes the move to the big screen, it's hard not to love it too!  I know some fans of the show who were less than pleased with the movie version (Cate) but I think it was a well done and appropriate adaptation of the series.  It was funny and the fashion was amazing, obviously, with all the fabulous shoes, bags, and especially the montage of designer wedding dresses.  I always love seeing the city in movies, and the stories of the four ladies were enjoyable.  Although it's not at the top of my list like the HBO series, I definitely liked this movie!





FORGETTING SARAH MARSHALL

Forgetting Sarah Marshall was my favorite movie viewed on DVD.  It was hilarious, and  the Dracula musical was an unexpected silly surprise.  I thought Jason Segel was pretty good and I'm sure we'll be seeing him again soon.  I also loved the tropical summery wardrobes, especially this dress that Kristen Bell wears during the 'Inside You' scene.  If anyone knows who makes this dress and where I could find it, please let me know!  I really really like it!  I'll be forever grateful!  Ok thanks!



HONORABLE MENTION

Although I can't say these made it to the favorites list, they still deserve to be mentioned for various reasons.  Iron Man was unexpectedly fun and entertaining, and I thought Robert Downey Jr. was pretty badass!  I have yet to experience his role in Tropic Thunder.  I'll probably see The Avengers when it comes out.

Role Models was also better than I had initially expected.  It was pretty silly in general, and Paul Rudd and Sean William Scott were funny as usual.  I thought Christopher Mintz-Plasse (McLovin'!) was awesome and Jane Lynch was absolutely hilarious.  The story was cute, and so was Ronnie.

Lastly, Baby Mama gets a shout out too.  I was excited to see Tina Fey and Amy Poehler team up as big screen leads and the movie was funny and quirky.  It fell slightly short of my expectations, but it still deserves an honorable mention because the exterior of Tina Fey's office building was SUteiShi!!  SUteiShi is a Japanese restaurant in downtown New York's Financial District owned by my cousin Victor, which my cousin Renee manages and I've worked there as well.  I thought it was pretty exciting that they filmed there!  The sunflower decals are still on the windows!





A few of 2008's movies I missed but would still like to see..

In the Theater:
Slumdog Millionaire
The Spirit
Gran Torino
The Wrestler

On DVD:
Tropic Thunder
Burn After Reading
Be Kind Rewind
Zach and Miri
Nick and Norah
The Strangers
The Happening


2 comments:

  1. The Academy Award nominations were recently announced and Heath Ledger received the nomination for Supporting Actor in The Dark Knight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check out my Academy Awards blog for the full list of nominations along with my personal picks for each category!

    Although I'm not a huge movie buff and haven't seen many of the nominated movies, I DID win $20 from an Oscar Pool last year! Somehow I had a little luck in choosing the winners, and hopefully I will this year too!

    ReplyDelete